Nishi Building, New Acton
|Client||Arup / Molonglo Group|
|Sector||Residential and Office|
|Size|| 21,700m² commercial office
235 unit residential building
68 room hotel
|Timeframe||2010 - 2013|
Nishi, the residential and commercial development at New Acton, Canberra, displays
advanced environmentally sustainable design. The mixed-use site contains:
· Commercial building of 21,700m²;
· Multi-unit residential building of 235 apartments;
· Hotel – a 68 room boutique hotel (Hotel Hotel) located on the lower three levels of the Nishi residential building;
· Palace Electric Cinema – an eight theatre cinema complex incorporating state of the art technology and a sophisticated bar and lounge facility;
· External works and public artwork – various landscaping works were undertaken during the construction phase; and
· A key deliverable was to achieve Molonglo Group's Public Artwork expectation and this also formed a central part of the project.
The building and fitout achieved a 6 Green Star design rating and 6 Green Star as-built rating. The residential apartments were the most sustainable in Australia, achieving an average NatHERS rating of 8 stars, compared with the minimum new build requirement of 4 stars. In 2015, Nishi won the International Project of the Year at the Building Awards in London.
The project was delivered under a project specific design and construct form of contract. The client's original design team was novated to the builder, PBS Building, to do the design development and documentation phases of the design work.